The then-small Felser & Co. was founded by engineers Karl Felser, William Wyre and Prof. Karl Lovice in Riga in 1873. After signing contracts with a number of companies in Germany, England, Sweden and Finland and after purchasing licenses and equipment, the company started to manufacture steam engines, refrigerating plants, economizers, various machines, equipment for breweries, creameries, distilleries and sawmills.
In 1891, the emperor-approved resolution of the Committee of Ministers dated 19 April permitted retired Maj. Gen. Baron Vasily Nolken and 1st-Guild Merchant William Wyre from Riga to establish a joint-stock company named the Society of the Riga Gray-Iron Foundry and Machine-Building Plant, previously Felser & Co. The company had seen fast development, and its worker headcount had grown from 50 to 300 by that year. The company’s turnover exceeded 544,902 rubles.
In 1905 the company made its first diesel engine under a license from the German company MAN, which had been issued in 1903, and soon after became Russia's leading diesel engine manufacturer.
In 1914 diesel engines accounted for 40% of the company’s products. Most orders were coming from the military and Navy. Diesels and equipment were being sent to Saint-Petersburg, where submarines and ships were being built for the Russian Navy. Furthermore, the company produced steam engines and boilers, water pressure tanks, air blowing machines and compressors, metal working machinery, and specialized machines to manufacture guns and shells. The customers included the Ministries of Trade and Industry, Transport Routes, and town councils.
In view of the threat of Riga being captured by German troops and with account of the plant’s significance for the country’s defense, Felser & Co. was evacuated to Nizhny Novgorod in July 1915 following an ordinance by Nicholas II.
1918: Release of the first defense products. Repairs of the following ships from the Volga Military Flotilla stationed in Molitovsky Backwash in Nizhny Novgorod: Volgar-Dobrovolets, Roshal, Krestyanin-Tovarishch.
Renaming to Engine of the Revolution. It is with great enthusiasm that the workforce accepted the new company name as a symbol of the gains of the revolution. The plant workers took self-sacrificing effort trying to match an honor this high.
Engine of the Revolution was the Republic’s only supplier of diesel engines.
Release of the first domestic stationary airless injection diesel engine BK-38 (Ch26/34) with power output up to 140 h.p. per cylinder @ 300 rpm, which outstripped its best foreign counterparts in terms of ease of operation, dependability, weight and minimized consumption of non-ferrous metals. The engine was produced in one, two, three and four-cylinder versions.
Photo: the first airless injection engine BK-38 (Ch26/38) designed by Otto Nikolayevich Stäbler and manufactured by Engine of the Revolution.
1928 – 1935: the company starts making MAN BV56 (37.5/56), BV60 (42.5/60), BV72 (50/72) license engines. The license agreement was made by the State-Run Machinery Building Plants Assn. with MAN, Sulzer, and Deutz and effective until 1932.
Resolution I of the All-Union Diesel Conference as concerned general-purpose diesel engine building made a decision that the company would specialize in producing diesel and gas engines and arrange its own design office. The company was subordinated to the State-Run Machinery Building Plants Assn.
Creating a charcoal burning engine and gas engines running on natural gas, based on the Ch42.5/60 engine produced in the USSR under the license from MAN (German GVu Series engines) and on the airless injection Ch26/38 (BK-38) engine developed in house.
Making defense products in 1941 – 1945. Engine of the Revolution made: 1,351,688 rockets for multiple rocket launchers; 10,103 mortars; 121,870 mortar shells.
The company started producing gearboxes for T-34 tanks built at the Krasnoye Sormovo Factory.
Over 20 types of different weapons were produced by the company for the front.
1942: The company was awarded with the Order of the Red Banner of Labor
The USSR Council of Ministers made a decision to assign the mastery and production of gas-powered compressors to Engine of the Revolution as a company with adequate materiel and equipment that was already producing gas ICEs.
Engine of the Revolution created the 10GK gas-powered compressor fully designed in house.
In 1952 G.K. Drushchits became the Chief Designer; he created the D-1 (6Ch36/45) engine, which replaced the obsolete Ch42.5/60, and the 6Ch 25/34 diesel engine; he was decorated with the Order of the Red Banner of Labor for the development of the ChN36/45 diesel (1965).
Introducing gas turbocharging for the Ch36/45 diesel.
1958: start of development of the second-generation ChN36/45 engine. Unlike the first generation, the second one was turbocharged.
G60 diesels installed at the main motorship Volgo-DON-25 built at the Oka Shipyard in Navashino Town.
In 1964, the Committee of the Exhibition of Achievements of the National Economy awarded the company with a 1st Degree Diploma for the creation of the G60 ship engine.
n 1966 the company completed the testing of the G70 main ship engine designed to be installed as a main engine on large-sized cargo and passenger river ships.
1968 saw the start of development of the third-generation G95 (6ChRН36/40) ship diesels and stationary 5003 (6ChN36/40) diesels with a power of 2020 kW @ 550 rpm.
The G66 (6ChN 36/45) stationary diesel was awarded with the state Quality Mark. The G71 gas engine was developed based on this engine.
Release of the G68 (6GChN36/45) gas engine and the DG68 gas piston generator set based thereon.
The 10GKNA gas-powered compressor was awarded with the state Quality Mark.
Start of production of the G84 compound gears for maritime and fishing vessels.
Using a license from Citroën-Messian, the company launched the production of G84 compound gears for maritime and fishing vessels with hull reinforcement for ice-going.
The Engine of the Revolution Company was transformed into RUMO OJSC in the framework of the National Privatization Program. RUMO OJSC is a full-fledged legal successor of the former state-owned diesel engine manufacturing company Engine of the Revolution with respect to all of the rights and obligations of the transformed entity.
In 1995 a license agreement was made with MAN B&W for the production of the L23/30, L28/32, L32/40 engines.
In 1998 the company started developing the new advanced gas-powered piston compressors PK-12, PK-32 Photo: the 6PK-32 piston compressor.
The UTM Series boilers were awarded with the Quality Mark of the Federal Agency of Construction, Housing and Utilities and put on the list of the 100 Best Products of Russia.
Start of serial deliveries of watercraft diesel gear units with ChN22/28 diesel engines.
Start of serial deliveries of standalone automated gas boiler rooms in package container versions based on the UTM Series boilers.
Start of serial deliveries of diesel generator sets with ChN22/28 diesel engines.
RUMO OJSC started serial deliveries of 8DG22G1 gas piston generator sets.
The first gas electric power plant, equipped with 8DG22G1 gas generator sets fitted with ChN22/28 gas piston engines, was put in operation in Stroitel Village in Belgorod Oblast.
The first batch of the new-type MKC-12 gas-powered compressors was supplied to meet the needs of the Republic of Azerbaijan’s gas industry.
The Republic of Azerbaijan commissions a compressor station with new MKC-12 gas-powered compressors
A production prototype of the 6PK32 piston compressor successfully passed a set of commissioning and acceptance tests within the GPA-4RMP gas pumping unit in cooperation with United Engine-Building Corporation – Gas Turbines, JSC.
The CEO of RUMO OJSC selected Mr. Andrei Gorshkov as crisis manager
The investment group of industrial companies headed by Mr. Dmitry Samorukov came to the RUMO OJSC site.
The start of the project for the recovery of RUMO production capacity. For this project the company invited a Saint-Petersburg team of managers headed by CEO Oleg Bessonov. Mr. Dmitry Samorukov became the RUMO Chairman of the Board.
The company started manufacturing new types of products that it had never made before: systems and modules for 16 MW and 25 MW gas pumping units.
A prototype of the RUMO-502 gas piston internal combustion engine successfully passed the entire set of its factory tests reaching its design parameters.
RUMO JSC’s mission is creating a modern and competitive company for implementing comprehensive engineering solutions in order to design, manufacturer, deliver and service installations based on in-house-made piston compressors and internal combustion engines for any industry.
For that purpose, RUMO JSC:
Oleg Gennadyevich Bessonov
Vladimir Vasilyevich Denisenko
First Deputy General Director, Technical Director
Vyacheslav Borisovich Shipov
Deputy General Director, Marketing and Sales
Alexander Alexandrovich Goncharenko
Dmitry Andreyevich Kharin
Deputy General Director, Security
Natalia Alexandrovna Limonova
Director, Economics & Finance
Sergei Gennadyevich Tereshkin
Nicolai Victorovich Grishatov
Director, Purchasing & External Cooperation
Alexei Gennadyevich Leshchev
Yelena Vladimirovna Yeryomina
Dmitry Sergeyevich Shulga
Yulia Alexandrovna Romanova
In late 2019 RUMO’s quality management system (QMS) was inspected and recognized as compliant with the requirements of the standards below:
This section sets out information on the projects implemented.